Friday, November 18, 2005

Wheels keep on turning

I kind of wish I could get it. I see these cyclists going by and envy the seemingly effortless way they crank up the speed, their cool, colorful clothes and the way they can wear tights and get away with it. And I think, well, that could be me.
I went for a ride today, about 18 miles. It was sort of out of necessity, the car's in the shop and running that far, well, I'm not at that point in my training just yet. It is a nice change from the pounding on the pavement, but after awhile my back began to ache, my hands started to tingle and other parts of my anatomy began to go numb. I found I'd work the hills, but would get in the habit of coasting when I could, looking at the scenery. Not exactly a disciplined workout.
One cycling acquaintance of mine told me of the joys of riding country roads, enjoying the scenery (while hopped up on endorphines). He told me of the challenging, yet peaceful (no traffic) roads winding through Fort Ord. I thought it would be a nice activity for my daughter and I to get into, but I never mustered the effort to get both bikes fixed. Instead, we started running together.
And so I run, at least until the next injury or trip to the auto mechanic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home