Saturday, March 11, 2006

Clock is ticking

I found myself waiting in the car the other day with not much to do. Searching for something to read I came across my training log from last year (my first assault on the Big Sur International Marathon). It was a reality check, this marathon is coming up (April 30) quick. As I looked back on my training last year I have mixed emotions. I feel confident because I have done a lot more hill work this time around and my average runs have been three to four miles longer. I'm also a little concerned because last year I got sick twice during this final stretch, costing me training time. I'm continuing to make Airborne and vitamins a part of my daily ritual.
I've also done more cross-training (weight lifting and treadmill/elipitical stuff) this time around.
But I'm having trouble finding the time to get in the long runs (18 and longer) I need. Life keeps getting in the way.
And I'm about 10 pounds heavier than last year.What the heck happened there (late night eating binges, that's what).
If this marathon was flat or with just small hills I'd be feeling very, very confident right now. But Hurricane Point looms and the gauntlet of Carmel Highlands. I can get up Hurricane, but can I recover and last through those torturous ending hills?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home