Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Monday, ever so important

I've come to the realization that Monday might be the most important running day of the week. It struck me last week during my run, when I realized coming off two days rest, it was probably the ideal time to attack the hills (before fatigue and soreness would make a coward of me). It was also the best time to set the tone for the week. When I don't run on Monday, or cut it short, I find myself trying to make it up later in the week. This adds to stress, which adds to grouchiness, which adds to me wondering why I'm doing this at all. Not good. A long, hard Monday gives me a cushion for the rest of the week (you know how that blank calendar seems to fill up by itself as the week goes on?). And today actually felt pretty good, 11 miles with my mini-Hurricane Point built in (a two-mile climb). Get this, as I assaulted one of the hills I found myself thinking of something else, rather than the pain in my thighs and calves, and the sound of my labored breathing. It was like I woke up and there I was at the crest of a climb. I like that a lot.

Monday morning is still the worst, but Monday running, well, it seems to be one of the best (oh, the best day running is when you don't have to worry about hurrying back to go to work or housework, when the day is yours and you choose to spend it running, because, heck, you just want to.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home