Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My birthday

To celebrate my birthday, which was Friday, I ran 18 miles. I hadn't done a whole lot of planning. Just Thursday night I decided that's what I was going to do. I was taking the day off, my wife was working and my daughter had school. And, it was my birthday, I wanted to do something just for me. I labored the first few miles, getting warmed up on a cool, overcast day. Miles 5-9 were great, you know the feeling, the endorphins flowing, the stride long, easy and fast. 10-12 got a little uncomfortable. 14 and 15 I had to focus on being in the moment, not worrying about how I would finish those last few miles. Mile 16 I received a call from my wife wondering if I had heard from my son who was flying in from Montreal that night (the reason I was carrying the cell phone). It was a welcome diversion, although she didn't want to have a long chat ("I better let you get back to your run" ... "No, it's OK honey, tell me more about your day, every detail." ... "Umm, you probably want to get back to your run." ... "Yeah, you're right."). Turning on to the last mile my son called from the Montreal airport. It elevated my spirits hearing his voice and I hammered the last mile. That night I was stiff and pretty tired, but all in all a pretty darn good birthday.

On Monday, the day just passed, I ran 11, a whole lot of hills that left me staggering at times. Coincidentally, my son drove by me on the biggest climb (he was driving to the gym to lift weights). He gave me a little cheer, "Go Dad go." It was enough to put a smile on my face and a spring in my step, at least temporarily.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Happy Birthday Dave. I hope you enjoy your visit with your son.

February 21, 2006 6:56 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

So, is your plan to run your kid's age on your birthday every year? Happy Birthday!

February 21, 2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

Good job!
Happy trails,
Bad Ben

February 21, 2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Sounds like a great day. Happy Birthday!

February 21, 2006 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home