Monday, November 28, 2005

Mourning

I've taken several days off from running and this blog. I wish I could say it was turkey day hang over. One of my closest friends was killed thanksgiving night in a car accident. Dave was 47 and leaves a beautiful wife and three young children.
Although my inclination has been to just pull the covers over my head and try not to think of anything, my wife and I went up to see the family the day after the tragedy. There were lots of tears and hugs ... and there was one story that I think is appropriate for this space. As we sat in the bedroom of one of Dave's kids, we talked about his life. His younger sister, Mary, had one particular memory that involved running. "When I was about 9, my dad entered us in this mountain run," Mary recalled. "I had no idea what I was getting into, but when my dad told us to do something, we did it." So, with seven siblings Mary began the run and quickly fell behind. "Dave (who was 4 or 5 years older) got to the top and began looking for me. When I wasn't there he told my dad he was going back for me.
"He came back and ran the rest of the way up the hill with me, encouraging me all the way."
"He came back for me, that's the way he was."

I ran 6 miles today, thinking about Dave most of the way, that kind of funny stride he had, that boundless energy. Yeah, he was a guy who would come back for you, I loved him for that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully the chance to go out for a run each day and think of your friend will be healing. Hang in there.

November 29, 2005 10:48 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Dave - I'm really sorry to hear about this. Tragedies like that make everything else we do (running, writing, etc) seem very inconsequential, but then those little things can help occupy you in your grief sometimes. Sounds like your friend will be greatly missed.

December 01, 2005 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home