Thursday, March 16, 2006

Running on the run

Reading today's Running Life column in the Herald (www.montereyherald.com) reminded me how much I enjoyed running on my "spring break." To tell you the truth, I probably would have left my running gear at home if the Big Sur International Marathon didn't loom over me. But the marathon does effect my life, so when my daughter and I headed off a few weeks ago to check out colleges, I threw an extra bag into the trunk (the one with my running gear). We were staying with old friends, and when I told them I wanted to get up early and go for a run before we did anything else they were a bit surprised ... but very supportive. In fact, my pal Wayne charted out a course for me and his wife Fran made me a strong cup of coffee first thing in the morning (very important when you're not a morning person). It turned out to be a lovely run, one made lovelier by my wrong turns. I explored a dead end street, running around an abandoned house. I explored the roads and parking lots through Westmont College (said Hi to a jogging coed, I think she sped up to get away), and I kept looking at my watch, knowing it was too early to turn back. So I sucked it up and ran up an enormous (in my eyes) hill that Wayne had described as being "not too bad." Now to Wayne, the college professor/cyclist, the hill really wasn't too bad. And, perhaps fittingly, our last discussion before I ran out the door was how tough it was to answer what God calls you to do. I wouldn't go so far as to say God called me to run that hill, but geez, once I got to the top, I was rewarded with beautiful views of Santa Barbara and the Pacific Ocean beyond. Now that's a nice metaphor. The next day I did the same route (without the wrong turns). The hill didn't seem nearly as tough, and it was nice to spend a longer time running along the summit and drinking in the views. You know, when I look back on this trip, I'll remember that being one of the bright spots, one I would have missed if I had left my running gear at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home