Thursday, December 15, 2005

Cookies: Love 'em, can't leave 'em

As I train for the Big Sur Marathon, I ponder those great questions of life, such as: Chocolate Chip cookies, mana from heaven or just dead weight from that other place?

I long for those days of blissful ignorance, when I believed that as long as I exercised I could eat anything I wanted, whenever I wanted. It was a time when I could have a double bacon cheese burger at 2 a.m. and not worry how I would feel the next day during a run. A time when the breakfast of champions was a chocolate chip cookie or two or three and I would think the reason I was feeling so sleepy a half hour or so later was because I didn't get to bed early enough (who knew, or cared, about blood sugar crashes).

Alas, now I know that to lose weight I need to do more than exercise. And what I eat often has a major effect on the quality (and enjoyment) of my workouts.

That's something my teen-age daughter has learned as well. So it is through sympathetic ears that I hear her complain that we have too many goodies in the house. In fact, she complained the other day that having ice cream in the freezer was just too tempting, so in a moment of self-sacrifice, I finised it off to remove the temptation. She seemed grateful, but the next day she found a candy bar wrapper in my car. The conversation went something like this:

"So, I suppose you bought and ate the candy bar because you didn't want me to be tempted by it?"

"Yeah, something like that."

"And you'll be buying and eating every candy bar in every store, just to keep me from being tempted?"

"Well, I hadn't quite completely thought out my plan yet."

"Ah, I see."

She's an honor student.

Anyway, our son comes home from college tommorrow, which means my wife has become a baking fool. We have something like 13 dozen of her delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies now cooling on the kitchen counter. I'm not sure how my daughter and I are going to handle this heaping mound of temptation (it doesn't seem to bother my son, the 265-pound, 6-foot-5 college football player). ...

**A day of cross-training at the gym today, weight lifting, elipitical and treadmill. My legs feel good, of course, that could be because I just ate three cookies as I pounded away at my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home