Thursday, December 08, 2005

Do dogs blog?

I swear this one was going to be on the triumph of today's 13-mile run. Of the more than 5 miles of climbing. Of pushing the pace through the woods, outracing the rain drops. But then about half-a-mile from home I turned the corner and there was Fido in the middle of the street. Fido's the doberman I wrote about Monday. There's always been a fence between Fido and I, and that has made me feel better because he looks at me like I'm a roast fresh out of the oven. This time there was no fence, just a flimsy looking leash, carried by a woman too pettit to keep Fido from doing anything he really wanted.

Now, it wasn't like I came face-to-face with a snarling monster. There was about 200 yards between us when we spotted each other. But I figure it would have taken him about 10 seconds to bring me down. In moments like that, you should reflect on your life and make peace with your maker. All I could think of was, do I try to punch Fido or just lay down and hope he takes pity on me. Luckily, I had to do neither. His master had him sit and then placed her hand on his head as I passed (giving them a wide berth). I didn't say anything to either one, didn't make eye contact, and sure as heck didn't smile (baring my teeth). And I picked up the pace as soon as I got by.

Fido, it you're reading this, I didn't mean anything personal. Heck, I admire you as an athlete, you're a beautiful specimen of doghood. And if you ever get a break in your busy schedule, I'd love to buy you a pork chop or two or three. I'll have my people contact your people. Really. Love you babe ......

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent many years running with my boss's Doberman. I shamelessly used him to pull me up steep hills. Thanks for the memory!

December 13, 2005 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home