Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Dogging my Dawg

Our dog is very good to us. He makes sure to wake us every morning and walks us twice a day. And if we forget our scheduled walk, he makes like a personal trainer and darn sure reminds us.

I just want to go on record that I did try to make our dog a runner. When he was a pup I took him to the local high school track. For about a half a lap he thought this running thing was great fun. Teathered on a long leash, he stared up at me with those loving big brown eyes and broke into a smile (or was it a pant?). Alas, it didn't take long for him to change his mood. He slowed and then stopped. He'd start again with a little encouragement, but soon stopped for good (picking a shady spot). And he gave me that look, the one that said, "Dad, running in circles, this is just .... stupid." Sound familiar? Now this is coming from a dog who goes wild at the sight of contrails (those vapor trails from high flying jets). He runs in circles and barks incessentatly when he spots one, although I have to admit, since we got the dog a jet has never flown into our yard.

Nowadays our dog doesn't respect the fact I get my exercise from running and going to the gym. He still insists on taking me for a walk around the neighborhood, no matter if I've run three miles or 26.2.

3.5 mechanical miles today, a little weight lifting, and boy, I'm getting sore already. Tommorrow might be a nice flat run by the beach (it's nice to live in California, dogs and all).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home