Wednesday, April 19, 2006

It was beautiful out

Ahh, today I was living in California again, not Oregon, not Seattle. The sun was out, the puddles had dried up and I could wander outside without a jacket. Checking the 10-day forecast I'm seeing a whole bunch of sunshine. So I have a feeling it's not going to rain on us during the Big Sur Marathon (oh my, did I just put the hex on us?). There are days I kind of like running in the rain. But 26.2 miles of the stuff? and the wind that often comes with it? No thanks. And today, the air was so clear, I bet the views from Highway One in Big Sur were spectacular. Ah, just 10 more days

Here at the newspaper we're in full planning mode for our coverage. Just wondering, anything you runners who will be out here would like to read about friday-Monday in the Herald? We're already planning stories on how there's no shame in walking during a marathon (although it's my goal not to walk), on the mental challenge of getting up Hurricane Point and through the Carmel Highlands (am I the only one intimidated by this prospect?), as well as some last second advice from our running columnists, Donald Buraglio and Mike Dove, and maybe some pointers on how to recover in the days after the marathon. Personally, I'm interested in reading how to handle the post-partuem depression. With the goal of the marathon behind me, how do I refocus my exercise life (the prospect of qualifying for Boston keeps bouncing around in my head, although my body is a long way from being capable of doing that). E-mail me any ideas you might have to dkellogg@montereyherald.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a first time marathoner, but being familiar with the area, I am still wondering how "experienced Big Sur runners" prepare in terms of clothing. I know how the weather could be, but do you just over dress and peel everything off at race time? Do you dressd light and hope for the Best in terms of weather etc? Just curious as I prepare for the first time.

April 20, 2006 8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear more stories about Big Sur runners! This is my first marathon and I'm anxious to hear tales of others experiences with Big Sur.

April 21, 2006 6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Best way to avoid PMDS (Post Marathon Depression Syndrome) is to pick another goal race as soon as possible. Course this gets to be a never ending cycle-- After Big Sur the Dipsea and then the Double Dipsea and then The Quad Dipsea and then the San Francisco Half Marathon and then . . . . . Big Sur rolls around again.

No depression but a big running shoe bill and a wife who would faint if her husband was home on Saturday mornings instead running somewhere.

April 23, 2006 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CLOTHING! As a first-time marathoner, I really am curious about clothing strategy (esp. on a course that could yield some pretty big extremes).

You might even consider blogging on this topic. What are you planning on wearing?

April 24, 2006 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The course does have big extremes, but is very nice.

Wear the clothes that you plan to run with and bundle over with a pullover and sweat pants. At the time when you are about to go your time area take off the extra layer put it in the race bag that is given to you and pick up your clothes at the finish.

Last year at the start if I remember correctly the temp was in the high 40's and in the low 60's at the finish. Their was a light drizzle here and there through the race and it was overcast.

April 26, 2006 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home