Saturday, May 05, 2007

Everything is Back to Normal

It's hard to believe that almost a week has past since the Big Sur Marathon. This time a week ago I was stuffing myself at the spaghetti feed. Although my quads were sore for a few days, I managed to get in two 4-6 mile runs during the week. Today I did 12 miles, starting in Carmel with the Laundry Runners group. It feels great to be in a place where 12 miles feels, if not "easy," at least routine. I'd like to keep that base so that I don't have to start from scratch when I find a marathon to do in the summer or fall, and so I can do half-marathons without it being a big deal. An extra treat was that today I was able to join many of the group for coffee in Carmel after the run. Recently I've missed the socializing because of running longer and slower than many, or doing the one-way run from Carmel to Monterey.

I've been thinking about the past four months of training leading up to last week, and have realized that a really important contributor to my success and enjoyment has been the interest and support of runners and others in the community. Numerous runners have given me advice and encouragement. Others (non-runners) have been interested in my progress and have expressed admiration for my efforts. It's been especially gratifying this past week that so many people wanted to hear about my experience (and of course, to talk about theirs if they did a Big Sur event, too!). This sounds trite, but I think it's true - "It takes a village to raise a runner!" Thanks to you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home